Overview of DSERT
The Department of State Educational Research and Training, popularly known as DSERT is the academic wing of the Department of Public Instruction. It aims at providing academic leadership in school education as well as improving the quality of education provided in primary and secondary schools in the state. The DSERT was formed as a small academic unit of the Department of Public Instruction. It was then known as the State Institute of Education (SIE), and it originally started functioning from the northern district town of Dharwad in 1964. This unit was later shifted to Bangalore and the other academic units of the department of public instruction – State Institute of Science (SIS), State Educational Evaluation Unit (SEEU) and Educational Vocational Guidance Bureau (EVG), were merged in 1975 to form a single monolithic Department of State Educational Research and Training.
I. Structure of DSERT :
The DSERT is headed by a departmental officer of the rank of a Director of Public Instruction. The Director is assisted by Joint Director in all his academic and administrative duties. Apart from Joint Director, 2 Deputy Directors and 14 Senior Assistant Directors along with their staff function from various sections of DSERT. CTEs, Govt. TTIs, Aided D.Ed Colleges and DIETs, — District Institutes of Education & Training, functioning under DSERT are situated across the state carry forward the objectives and activities of DSERT to massive teacher community. DSERT is under the administrative control of Commissioner of Public Instructions and Secretariat of Primary and Secondary Education Department. www.dsert.kar.nic.in is the official web site of this department.
II Objectives & Activities of DSERT :
- Enhancing the quality of education in primary and secondary schools in the state.
- Management of teacher education in the state (both pre service and in service education) both at the elementary education and secondary education levels
- Management of Government Colleges of teacher education, District Institutes of Education and Training and other Government teacher training institutions.
- Promoting Science Education in the state.
- Designing and implementing in service teacher training courses in content, pedagogy, innovative methods like theatre in education, use of low cost and no cost teaching learning materials in schools, etc.
- Making Satellite based training programmes.
- Encouraging the talent of the students through scholarships
- Having found the teaching needs of High School teachers, enhancing the teaching skills of teachers
- Accelerating the learning abilities of the students studying in Govt. Schools.
- Bringing about a better change in educational quality of Teacher Training Institutes.
- Through Art Research Center of DSERT, organizing the exhibitions / seminars to student – teacher community of High Schools on Applications of Art, New Explorations of Art and Action Research.
- Usage of technology in education.