Our digital library website address is: http://www.sscldl.com.
It is the policy of Shivamogga Digital Library that the privacy of all users will be respected and protected in compliance with state government laws and Department of Public Libraries (DPL) policies and rules. To the extent possible the TDL also conforms to relevant professional standards, as enumerated.
The Shivamogga Digital Library occasionally collects information from and about users and their interactions with Shivamogga Digital Library services. The Shivamogga Digital Library’s policy for personally identifiable information (PII)  is to: a) minimize its collection; b) to discard or anonymize it as soon as is practical; c) to secure and protect any personally identifiable information that is collected or retained; d) to prohibit its use for commercial purposes; and e) to advocate for, but not guarantee, similar protection by vendors and partners to whose services and content we may direct users.
The Shivamogga Digital Library discloses personally identifiable information when required by search warrant or subpoena or if there is a substantiated reason to believe that violations of law or of Department  policies have taken place ; or when failure to act might result in significant bodily harm or significant property loss. All personally identifiable information connected to an individual’s use of Shivamogga Digital Library services is considered confidential. This information includes, but is not limited to, address and other registration information, informational questions asked, and searches, displays, and downloads of content managed by the Shivamogga Digital Library. This information, however, may be consulted and used by Shivamogga Digital Library staff in the course of carrying out Shivamogga Digital Library Services and facilities.
The Shivamogga Digital Library examines and may disclose various forms of non-personally identifiable information (e.g. aggregated usage statistics) when there is a business reason or agreement to do so.
This policy applies to all services offered by the Shivamogga Digital Library. It may be reviewed and revised from time to time (in which case former versions will be made available). Questions about the policy and the practices that support it may be directed to email@example.com
Baseline Supporting Practices
Access to personally identifiable information is restricted to Shivamogga Digital Library staff who need it to conduct Shivamogga Digital Library business . Department policy prohibits department employees and others from “seeking out, using, or disclosing” personally identifiable information without authorization, and requires employees to take necessary precautions to protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information encountered in the performance of their duties or otherwise.
When personally identifiable information must be inspected, monitored, or disclosed by court order, subpoena, or University policy, the following shall apply:
- Authorization. Except in emergency circumstances, such actions must be authorized in advance and in writing by the Shivamogga Digital Library, or by a Director designated by the Shivamogga Digital Library. Authorization shall be limited to the least perusal of content and the least action necessary to resolve the situation.
- Emergency Circumstances. In emergency circumstances – circumstances in which failure to act might precipitate harm, loss, or liability – any member of the Shivamogga Digital Library may approve the least perusal of content and the least action necessary to resolve the emergency, immediately and without prior written authorization, but appropriate authorization must then be sought without delay.
- Compliance with Law. Actions taken shall be in full compliance with the law and other applicable University and campus policies. In particular, actions taken in regard to electronic communications, including e-mail, shall comply with the provisions of the (National Digital Communications Policy).
Except as required by law, users of Shivamogga Digital Library systems and services are informed whenever personally identifiable information other than transactional information will be collected and stored automatically by the system or service.
Currently, we plan to retain user registration data while an account is active and for at least five years afterward. We may alter this practice according to legal and business requirements. For example, we may lengthen the retention period for some data if needed to comply with law or voluntary codes of conduct. Unless otherwise prohibited, we may shorten the retention period for some types of data if needed to free up storage space.
The Shivamogga Digital Library implements and follows government standard electronic security measures to secure the systems through which information is collected or stored. Security protections, and all other elements of the Shivamogga Digital Library’s policy, extend to data copies and backups implemented for business continuity.
We send cookies (small files containing a string of characters) to your computer, thereby uniquely identifying your browser. Cookies are used to track your preferences, help you login faster, and aggregated to determine user trends. This data is used to improve our offerings, such as providing more content in areas of greater interest to a majority of users.
Public Forums & Blogs
When you use certain features on our website like the discussion forums, blogs and you post or share your personal information such as comments, messages, files, photos, will be available to all users, and will be in the public domain. All such sharing of information is done at your own risk. Please keep in mind that if you disclose personal information in your profile or when posting on our forums this information may become publicly available.
We are concerned about safeguarding the confidentiality of your Information. We provide physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect Information we process and maintain. For example, we limit access to this Information to authorized employees only who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our Application/Services/products/Website. Please be aware that, although we endeavor to provide reasonable security for information we process and maintain, no security system can prevent all potential security breaches.
When you access our Website, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, internet protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
When you send an email or other communication to us, we may retain those communications in order to process
your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our Services.
- In the course of providing users with web-based services, the Shivamogga Digital Library routinely collects and stores certain information which is generally not considered “personally identifiable.” We use this information on an aggregate basis to maintain, enhance or add functionality to our web-based services. It includes:
The user’s Internet location, aka IP address (which, depending upon network configuration and practices, may or may not indicate a specific machine regularly used; as a precaution the Shivamogga Digital Library anonymizes the machine-specific portion of the address per items #4 and #8 of this policy).
- Which pages on our site the user visits.
- The URL of the web page from which the user came to our site.
- Which software is used to visit our site and its configuration.
Google Analytics and other analysis tools
Privacy practice audits
Protecting privacy is a shared responsibility. When Shivamogga Digital Library services require user identifiers and passwords, it is the user’s responsibility to use them responsibly, within the policies under which they were issued, and to protect them from misuse by others. Users should not share passwords with any third parties. If a user’s password has been compromised for any reason, it should be changed immediately.
Referrals to external sites
Shivamogga Digital Library’s web services may link to Internet sites and services outside the administrative domain of the library. The Shivamogga Digital Library does not govern the privacy practices of these external sites. Users should read the privacy statements at these sites to determine their practices. When the Shivamogga Digital Library contracts with vendors for access to online content, every attempt is made to include user information protections in the license agreement.
Records pertaining to the business of the Shivamogga Digital Library, whether or not created or recorded on Shivamogga Digital Library equipment, are Department records subject to disclosure under the Department of Public Library Act and (National Digital Communications Policy), other laws, or as a result of litigation.
Possession of Department Records
Shivamogga Digital Library employees are expected to comply with requests, properly vetted through Department policies and procedures, for copies of records in their possession that pertain to the business of the Department, or whose disclosure is required to comply with applicable laws, regardless of whether such records reside on Department electronic communications resources.
- During the performance of their duties, personnel who operate and support the Shivamogga Digital Library’s IT infrastructure periodically need to monitor transmissions or observe certain transactional information to ensure the proper functioning and security of Shivamogga Digital Library systems and services. On these and other occasions, systems personnel might observe personally identifiable information. Except as provided elsewhere in this Policy or by law, they are not permitted to seek out such information where not germane to the foregoing purposes, or disclose or otherwise use what they have observed.
- Such unavoidable inspection of personally identifiable information is limited to the least invasive degree of inspection required to perform such duties. This exception does not exempt systems personnel from the prohibition against disclosure of personal and confidential information.
User Accounts and Personal Information
- Accessing the content from Shivamogga Digital Library requires, a user to have a registered account. Personal information is required, like your Full Name, Email address, Mobile number etc. Certain personal information such as Username and password is required to log into your account and to protect your account from unauthorized access. Information on your usage, such as frequency of your access to Shivamogga Digital ibrary or information that you seek or click within the Site may be recorded and this may be shared with trusted third parties, including our publishers or other supplier of content. Such information may also be used for analytics purposes to bring relevant or your choice of content to you. Any personal information or content that you voluntarily disclose online (in comments, reviews, etc.) becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by others. eMails & Mobile Number.
- Shivamogga Digital Library may use your email id / mobile number to send passcode, OTP information. We reserve the right to send you important account related emails from time to time even if you have opted not to receive emails from us.
Your user account is protected by a passwords chosen by you and you are prohibited from exposing the passwords.
Changes to this Statement
We believe that, every user of our Application/Services/products/Website must be in a position to provide an informed consent prior to providing any Information required for the use of the Application/Services/products/Website. By registering with us, you are expressly consenting to our collection, processing, storing, disclosing and handling of your information as set forth in this Policy now and as amended by us and Digital and Communication Policies. Processing, your information in any way, including, but not limited to, collecting, storing, deleting, using, combining, sharing, transferring and disclosing information, all of which activities will take place in India. If you reside outside India your information will be transferred, processed and stored in accordance with the applicable data protection laws of India.
Any Grievance with reference to the policies defined herein, may be reported to
Shivamogga Smart City Limited,
1st floor, Corporation Building Block, SN, Nehru Road,
Shivamogga – 577201, Karnataka, India.
Reach out to us on firstname.lastname@example.org, in case of any queries.
- Shivamogga Digital Library uses the industry-standard secured socket layer (SSL) protocol along with Ezproxy as the gateway for the remote access authentication with the valid Institutional Licenses from the organisations, which provides data encryption, message integrity, and server authentication when your data is sent to us. A small lock that you see at the bottom of your browser window indicates that your data is being encrypted for transmission.
** The above policy has been framed as per the actuals and sustenance rules identified across the various department, universities based on the relevance and suitability. The same shall be revised every year in case of any litigation or found upgradation gaps.
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is any information that can be directly or indirectly associated with a known individual. Other types of information that the Shivamogga Digital Library does collect are enumerated
- A substantiated reason to believe requires reliable evidence, as distinguished from suspicion, rumor, gossip, or other unreliable evidence.
- “Shivamogga Digital Library business” refers to activities involved in the provision, maintenance, and management of Shivamogga Digital Library systems and services provided to its patrons and staff. Troubleshooting user interfaces, making usage-based design decisions, and diagnosing problems with underlying technology infrastructure are all examples of Shivamogga Digital Library business.
- A “cookie” is information stored on a workstation by a web server and used to customize a user’s interaction with the web. Some cookies last only for the duration of the session, while others are persistent and reside on a computer’s hard drive until the user deletes them or the computer is refreshed.
- “Department” referred to as the Department of Public Libraries, Shivamogga Smart City Limited and the implementing agency entrusted by the Shivamogga Smart City Limited during its term or till handover of the project to its Stakeholder.